Property investors

Property investors

Click the link to download a copy   FAQS Property Investors




What are the fees involved for property management?

  • Our management commission is 8.8% including gst of your property’s weekly rent.

  • A Letting commission equivalent to one weeks rent plus gst is charged at the start of each new Tenancy Agreement.

  • A weekly administration fee of $3.30 including gst

We don’t charge for :

  • Advertising and marketing your property

  • Property photos and signage

  • Routine inspections

  • Tenancy database searches

  • Title search

  • Arranging maintenance

  • End of Year financial statements

What’s your rent arrears procedure?

Making sure you receive your rent on time is taken very seriously at our agency. We monitor this on a daily basis. When rent isn’t received on the due date this is the procedure with have in place which is signed by the Tenants at the start of each Tenancy Agreement.

  • 2 DAYS RENT ARREARS – A courtesy call and email sent to tenant

  • 3 DAYS TO 8 DAYS RENT ARREARS – Phone calls, sms and email reminders on a daily basis.

  • 8 DAYS RENT ARREARS – RTA Form 11 Notice to Remedy Breach will be served on the tenant and a copy forwarded to you for your records. This notice allows the tenant 7 days notice to remedy the breach.

  • EXPIRY OF THE FORM 11 – RTA Form 12 Notice to Leave will be served on the tenant to terminate the tenancy and a copy forwarded to you for your records. The notice period for this form is 7 days.

  • EXPIRY OF THE FORM 12 – Tenant is to hand over possession of the property to the Agent. Failure to do so will result in our agency lodging an argent tribunal application for termination/warrant of possession.

How do I receive rent paid by my tenants?

All rent received from tenants for your investment property is held in our audited Agency Trust Account. We will pay all authorised payments relating to your property, examples commissions, repairs and maintenance, insurance, council rates. The Trust Account period concludes with account processing occurring each Friday of available funds each week. Electronic transfer into your nominated bank account within the next two business days. You have the option to receive your disbursements on a weekly, fortnightly or monthly basis.

How often can I inspect the property?

Form 18a General Tenancy Agreement states that the tenant permits the Lessor/Agent to inspect the property provided the tenant is given notice as required by the RTRA Act. The Act states that unless a tenant agrees otherwise, entry may not be made less than 3 months after a previous entry by the Lessor/Agent.

Can I attend routine inspections?

Yes. We will conduct the first inspection 6 weeks after the start of the lease and every 3 months after to ensure your property is being well maintained by the tenants. You will be invited to attend all routine property inspections and provided with a copy of the inspection report.

What length of time does a Tenancy Agreement run for?

We recommend all new tenancy agreements are a fixed term of 6 months to begin with. After the first 6 months if you and our agency are satisfied with the tenants ability to maintain your investment property and have proven to pay rent on time in accordance with the Tenancy Agreement, you may wish to offer a 12 month fixed term Tenancy Agreement.

What checks do you do on potential tenants?

Searches of national databases such as TICA (Tenancy Information Centre Australia) references from employers and previous rental agencies.

How much bond money is collected?

For properties with a rental amount less then $700 per week a maximum amount equal to 4 weeks rent bond is to be paid prior to the tenant moving into your investment property. If the weekly rent is greater then $700 per week then an agreed amount over and above the four weeks rent can be requested to be paid. All bond money is lodged with the Residential Tenancies Authority.

Do I need insurance for my investment property?

Before renting your investment property you will need to have the adequate insurance policies in place. These include – Landlord Protection Insurance, Building and Contents insurance and Public Liability.

Who does your agency use for repairs?

Our agency only uses qualified and licensed tradespeople who have the appropriate insurances in place for their business to carry out repairs on your investment property. We don’t use ‘handymen’.

Do I pay for water? What are the minimum criteria for water charging?

Lessors are able to pass on the full water consumption charges to tenants if:

  • the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), and

  • the rental premises are water efficient, and

  • the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption.

Items a tenant can be charged

A breakdown of water charges is shown below.

Charge as shown on water bill

Can tenant be charged?

State Bulk Water Charge

Yes, tenant can be charged*

Water Usage Charges

Yes, tenant can be charged*

Sewerage Usage Charge
(may appear on the bill as fixed or variable)

No, tenant cannot be charged
Sewerage is not a service charge as defined by the Act and cannot be passed onto the tenant

Fixed Access Charges
(including Water Access Charge and
Sewerage Access Charge)

No, tenant cannot be charged
The lessor must pay all fixed charges for water supply

*if the above criteria are met

What are water efficient rental premises?

A rental premises is considered water efficient if certain water fixtures meet the standards listed in the table below.

Water efficient devices

Minimum water efficient standard required

Internal cold water taps and single mixer taps (excluding bathtub taps and taps for appliances)

A maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute


A maximum flow rate of 9 litres per minute


A dual flush function not exceeding 6.5 litres on full flush and 3.5 litres on half flush and a maximum average flush volume of 4 litres (based on the average of 1 full flush and 4 half flushes)

The requirement for taps applies only to internal cold water taps that are installed over a hand basin, kitchen sink or laundry trough (including single mixer taps). The requirement does not apply to other taps in the premises such as bath tub taps, outside taps for the garden, or taps which supply washing machines or dishwashers. These taps are not required to be water efficient.

If you have any further questions about renting

your investment property please contact us anytime.

Phone: 0481 117 374


Send a message via our facebook page or visit our website

Coast to the Country Realty

11 Hervey Street Elliott Heads 4670